Colorado State University


We cannot respond to requests for legal assistance made by e-mail or by the web form on our contact page. If you, as a CSU student, are in need of legal information or assistance, please bring your student ID to Room 284 of the Lory Student Center to make an appointment.

Larimer County Court

Larimer County Court handles misdemeanors, traffic infractions, small claims, felony complaints (which may be sent to District Court) and small civil cases.

If you have an upcoming Larimer County Court appearance in a criminal matter, you may wish to request a continuance if you want to change your court date. A continuance may not be allowed in some cases.

You should speak with an attorney to determine whether you are charged with a petty offense, misdemeanor or felony. The Student Legal Services website contains general information about some common offenses such as Minor in Possession, Driving while Under the Influence, Driving While Ability Impaired, Driving Under Revocation, Underage Drinking and Driving, Careless Driving and Driving Without Insurance, but you should consult with an attorney regarding your specific case.

The court date and time listed on your ticket is your arraignment. At your arraignment, you will have an opportunity to plea bargain.

If you are charged with a felony or misdemeanor, you have a right to a jury trial. However, if you are charged with a petty offense you must take certain steps in order to preserve your right to a jury trial. You must do this within twenty days of entering a plea, even if you are not sure whether you will go to trial.

If you are indigent (and noone claims you as a dependent on their Federal Income Tax), and are charged with a crime for which jail is a possible penalty, you may qualify for a court-appointed attorney through the Colorado Public Defender’s office.