Colorado State University


We cannot respond to requests for legal assistance made by e-mail or by the web form on our contact page. If you, as a CSU student, are in need of legal information or assistance, please bring your student ID to Room 284 of the Lory Student Center to make an appointment.

Jury Trial

If you are charged with a petty offense in Larimer County Court, you will lose the right to have a jury trial if you do not request a jury within twenty days of pleading not guilty. You should seek legal advice to determine whether you would rather have a judge or a jury decide your case. You should also requestto have six jurors determine your guilt or innocence rather than the standard three.

If you wish to have a jury trial, you must, within twenty days of entering your plea:

  • File with the court a written jury demand
  • Be certain that your demand states that you request six jurors or you will only get three jurors.
  • Pay a $25.00 jury fee to the court, unless the judge waives this fee because you are indigent

You must take these steps even if you are not sure whether you will need a trial. Failure to do so means you will not have a right to a jury trial. You will get your $25 back if you later withdraw your request, the case is dismissed, or you are found not guilty at trial.

You do not need to request a jury if you are charged with a misdemeanor or a felony in Larimer County Court. Seek legal advice if you are not sure how your charge is classified.