Colorado State University


We cannot respond to requests for legal assistance made by e-mail or by the web form on our contact page. If you, as a CSU student, are in need of legal information or assistance, please bring your student ID to Room 284 of the Lory Student Center to make an appointment.

Small Claims Court

You should talk with an attorney before filing an action in small claims court. Small Claims Court involves many legal issues and risks.

For example, you must be sure that you are suing the correct party. You must properly serve the other party with process, or deliver notice to the party being sued. The other party could hire an attorney and have the case removed to county court. The court could order you to pay the other party's attorney's fees. The other party could file a counter claim against you.

For these reasons, it is important to be fully informed before filing in Small Claims Court. You should discuss your plan of action with an attorney.

You may find the following resources helpful: